Built in 1908 The Post-office was divided in : on Street-Level the Commercial space with Slate-stone tiled floors and a Woodstove placed in the middle, a Sorting/telegraph-room in the back – facing the Seagates ( Sluizen ) – and on the first floor a roomy Managers’ Appartment.
It’s unsure what the Building’s function was in the second WorldWar – during which it has survived the many bombings , that destroyed much of the old Town for German strategic planning. After WWII , the Post-office was back in service up untill 1986 , when its doors finally closed.
Since then ; It was left empty for several years .. until it was inhabited again by Artists , Years later. Even during this period most of it’s original interior was left untouched.
Above : the Postoffices’ last years of service / 1984